By Guest Contributor: Jim D. Kelly, FOB SJHS Marching Band
Stonewall Jackson Marching Band, 53-strong, is one ingredient of the secret sauce of Homecoming. Just like the football team, the cheerleaders, the dance group, the Homecoming Court and Queen; Homecoming just wouldn’t be Homecoming without the Marching Raiders’ stand-tunes support and half-time performance, evoking esprit de corps known as the “Spirit of Stonewall.”
Making this esprit de corps actionable for the community, the Marching Raiders, in recognition of Breast Cancer Awareness Month will be wearing pink ribbons on their uniforms beginning at the homecoming performance and for performances the remainder of the month and will have ribbons available for game attendees and spectators for a donation of at least $1. The Marching Band will also join with the Student Activity Leadership Council (SALC) at their homecoming ticket sales table this week during lunch and will also have ribbons available at the Marching Band gear sales table at the Homecoming football game and home games for the remainder of the month until the ribbons on-hand run out.
In addition to Breast Cancer awareness efforts, “Arabian Nights,” the theme for Homecoming, is the Marching Raider’s 2018 Show featuring the musical selections of Arabian Dances, Arabian Tale, and Wedding Dance, eliciting the mystical elements of fate and destiny, hallmarks of Middle Eastern storytelling. The Marching Band is under the leadership of Band Director Vince Bryk and Color Guard Instructor Devon Robinson with assistance from Percussion Instructor Ricky Nunez and Pit Instructor Michael Agre.
So far activities for Marching Band have included…
- September 28, 2018 – Eighth Grade Night during the home game against Woodbridge High School: The Marching Raiders hosted 42 Eighth Graders from Stonewall Middle School to an afternoon learning and practicing stand-tunes under their tutelage and the direction of the band director and instructors, including a talk about “what high school marching band is about and what they (the middle schoolers) can look forward to” and, of course drinks and pizza. Future SMS Color Guard members also were under the wing of Color Guard members learning the routine and participating in the presentation of the pre-game National Anthem. The combined SJHS Marching Raiders and SMS Eighth Graders performed their “Spirit of Stonewall” flavor to add to the SJHS fandemonium during the gridiron battle.
- September 22, 2018 – Colgan Classic Hosted by Colgan High School Marching Band: The Marching Raiders placed 2nd Overall in Class A Competition earning 1st Place for Drum Major and 2nd Place for Music, Color Guard, Percussion, Marching and General Effect out of a field of four marching bands.
- September 15, 2018 – Woodbridge Viking Invitational Hosted by the Woodbridge High School Marching Band: The Marching Raiders placed 2nd Overall in Class AA Competition earning 1st Place for Drum Major and General Effect, and 2nd Place in Auxiliary and Percussion.
- Upcoming Events for the remainder of the season include:
- October 13, 2018 – Hylton Hot Rod Classic 2018 Band Competition Hosted by C.D. Hylton High School Marching Band
- October 19, 2018 – Senior Night Home Game vs Osbourn Park High School: Graduating Athletes, Cheerleaders and Marching Band Members will be recognized.
- October 20, 2018 – James Madison University Parade of Champions Competition at James Madison University.
- October 27, 2018 – The 2018 Virginia Band & Orchestra Director’s Association Marching Assessment, locationTBD.
- December 1, 2018 – The 73rd Annual Greater Manassas Christmas Parade
Drum Major Leslie Montiel leads the Marching Band for as the Stonewall Jackson Football Team move to mid-field for the National Anthem.
8th Grade Nite with SJHS Marching Band Playing Stand-Tunes
Drum Major Leslie Montiel accepts 2nd Place Overall Honors with Section Leaders Kayla Blankenship, Drumline (Center) and Ashely Agre, Color Guard.
Leslie Montiel, Drum Major, accepts 2nd Place Overall Honors as Section Leaders Kayla Blankenship, Drumline (Center) and Ashely Agree, Color prepare to exit.